Monday, January 28, 2008

January 28, 2008

I got a call from my childhood friend Mary asking if I was available for lunch. I jumped at the chance because although we live in the same city and have spoken several times on the phone since moving back to Pittsburgh, we had not seen each other for more than ten years. Mary and I met in 6th grade when she moved across the street from me and we became best friends. Throughout grade-school, high school and the early college years, we remained very close and together, survived our tumultuous adolescence. Mary was really more than a friend.. she was more like a member of my family... even accompanying us on a number of family vacations.

As is often the case when physical distance separates friends, we fell out of touch when I left home to pursue my life. But Mary and I had built such a strong bond that the distance and years had little impact on my deep devotion and love for her. She was such an important part of my past that in my heart, I knew we would always be connected. During our lunch, we spent hours catching up. Seeing her again was a little like reliving our past... good times.. bad times... joys and pain... all of it came washing over us. As our lunch drew to a close I was so happy to have reconnected.

For several days following our lunch, I spent a lot of time reflecting on who I was and on who Mary was some 30 years ago. It was easy to see how each of us grew into the people that we did, as the foundation for who we are was firmly established back then. Although I don't think it is a good thing to dwell in the past, you can gain a lot of insight into who you are by remembering who you were. Even more important however is to reach out over the years and miles to reconnect with those who played a meaningful role in your life and who helped you become who you are. The love is still there, as real love never stops. And so it is.

No comments: