Tuesday, January 29, 2008

January 29, 2008

On the History Channel this past weekend appeared a series of programs relating to the end of the world. Program after program predicted or speculated about how and when the world (at least the world as we know it) will come to an end. One of the more startling predictions which comes from both the Mayan Calendar as well as the I-Ching, was that the world will end on the morning of the winter solstice (December 21), 2012. Other programs talked at length about such issues as a possible shift in the earth's polarity, cataclysmic earthquakes, and global flooding caused by global warming.

At first, I got emotionally sucked in because of the fear factor associated with the demise of the planet. But then I started thinking about the fact that short of doing my part to help live a more environmentally friendly lifestyle, I have little control over events that might happen to bring about the end of days. For the rest of the day, I thought about the implications of the world possibly coming to an end in five years. On a humorous note, I was relieved that I could give up worries about starting my retirement savings a bit too late.... On a more serious note, I started thinking about all of the things that I would want to do before the final curtain fell.

The questions then became:

* What do I want to accomplish in this lifetime?
* What do I need to do to get to that place?
* If I want to die with no regrets, what do I need to do to clean the plate?
* What do I need to do to release any notion of postponing joy?
* To whom do I need to express my love?
* How can I, in the most responsible way live for today?

Just for today, think about the fact that regardless of what the future may or may not hold, each day is a gift. We are all here to become all that we are meant to be. And above all, we are here to help each other get back to the garden through the development and perpetuation of love. Life is amazing.. and so are you. And so it is.

No comments: